Since the time of its founding, St. Joseph Church in Rudyard has shared its prosperity with surrounding communities. By sharing their pastor and supporting mission churches, Rudyard parishioners show their gratefulness to their founders and early missionaries.
Founding: St. Joseph Parish was founded in 1886 by missionary priests who offered Mass in private homes in Rudyard, Pickford, Fibre and Kinross. A church was built in Rudyard in 1902. In 1922, a rectory was constructed and the parish was entrusted with the care of the St. Francis Xavier Mission in Brimley.
Parish Life: The original church was replaced in 1941. The first Mass was offered in the completed structure on Holy Thursday, April 10, 1941.
St. Joseph's priests and parishioners cared for the St. Francis Xavier Mission in Brimley until 1965. Holy Family in Barbeau then became its mission. Since 1986, St. Joseph's has been entrusted with the care of the St. Mary Mission in Trout Lake.
On June 28, 1986, Bishop Mark Schmitt celebrated a special Mass marking the 100th anniversary of the founding of the parish. A banquet followed.
A major renovation project was undertaken in 1989 when office space was added to the parish rectory. In 1991, St. Joseph parishioners started a library offering assistance for drug and alcohol addiction. The audio cassettes and videotapes, books and other self-help tools make up the largest collection of its kind in the U.P. Since January of 2017, St. Joseph has been in a diocesan linkage with St. Mary Mission of Trout Lake and St. Francis Xavier of Brimley.
In addition to participating in active parish organizations for worship and liturgy, Christian service and evangelization, the people take part in regular celebrations, such as a monthly brunch, summer picnics, and sometimes, a fall harvest dinner.