Partnerships between St. Francis Xavier and other churches in the region have resulted in joint councils and faith formation programs that provide for the needs of all Catholics in the region.
FOUNDING: Jesuit priests from Sault Ste. Marie began offering Mass in private homes in 1887. Father John F. Chambon, SJ, led the parish in constructing the original church prior to the 20th century. In 1906 a larger church was constructed. In 1909 Brimley was assigned a mission of St. Joseph Parish in Rudyard.
PARISH LIFE: In April 1926, an out-of-control grass fire destroyed both the Brimley church and rectory. The present church was built and dedicated in 1929. Remodeling was undertaken in the mid-1960s and a summer parish festival was suggested to raise funds for a parish hall. Work began on the multi-purpose center in 1976. A mobile home was purchased for use as a rectory.
In 1976, St. Francis Xavier was linked with Our Lady of Victory in Paradise. In 1991, the pastor of Brimley was given responsibility for the care of Holy Family in Barbeau and Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha in Bay Mills.
Since Jan. 1, 2017, St. Francis Xavier, St. Joseph of Rudyard, and St. Mary Mission of Trout Lake have been linked together with their current pastor being Rev. Timothy Hruska.
Volunteers have been making and selling pasties to raise money for the church for more than 35 years. The group gathers in the parish hall regularly to prepare 500 to 600 pasties each time. A restoration project, including a new roof and new windows (including stained glass), was partially funded by pasty sales. Pasty sales have also paid for a new furnace, new lights, parish celebrations, fresh flowers on the altar weekly, repairs and maintenace, renovations, appliance replacement, some hall expenses, as well as generous gifts to priest, seminarians, and community members in need.